Sunday, April 29, 2007

Goals

Do you ever find yourself setting goals and then get frustrated because you realized you hadn't met any of them? Join the club.

I write personal and business goals each year. Some I meet and some I don't. Those that I don't meet, I realize too late that they were much too broad to be achievable. I now know that goals should be broken down into small, achievable steps. For example, one of my business goals is to have my own Web site, but it's not that easy. So I break it down into smaller steps:

  1. Gather information.
  2. Read the information and decide what's best for me.
  3. Choose a URL.
  4. Register my domain name.
  5. Find a Web designer.
  6. Meet with the designer (ask if I can do the updates and give the designer ideas on photos or graphics).
  7. Write the copy.
  8. Edit and proof the copy.
  9. Test the site.

What I don't do is assign due dates to these tasks. It then becomes overwhelming, I would fall behind, and I'll end up giving up. That's not what I want. I'm so busy with working full time, handling my freelance editorial business (working on jobs, finding new clients), writing short stories, plus all the other things that pile up on my desk.

I make weekly To Do lists (which include both personal and business tasks), monthly business To Dos, and it really get discouraging when I don't achieve some of the tasks. Maybe I shouldn't have too much on my lists?

How do you keep to your goals?

1 comment:

Paula Vergara said...

Hi Eagleeye -
Having goals is a good thing. I use a blank journal instead of a calendar style book, where I write down my daily goals. This gives me the room to add more if I happen to run over to the next page, and also doesn' make me feel like an underachiever if I don't fill out the whole page.
My goals are a combination of work/personal, which seems to work for me.